Saturday, October 16, 2010

arrival

As most of my friends and family know, I do not come to blogging naturally. But I recently arrived in Yemen to take up a new job, and want to be able to share some of my impressions and reactions to living in a country that ranks 140th out of 180 on the UN's Human Development Index.

I arrived in Sana'a at about 2:00 early Friday morning...and I still don't have a sense of the place. And I'm beginning to feel like I will have to fight hard to have any normal contact with Yemeni people. So far, all of my experiences have been either at the hotel, or the office, or mediated through the window of the car that drives me to either of those two places. In essence, there is a bubble that separates me from the life here. And that is very disorienting. Maybe things will be different after I find an apartment and get a better sense of where I can walk by myself and explore a little. But right now I feel like a bird in a pretty cage looking out at a world that is much poorer and dirtier and chaotic than what I have inside my cage.

On the drive back from dinner tonight, I rode through what I think is one of the main commercial streets in a more expensive part of town. The street shops were fascinating and would make visually compelling photos. Hyper-modern and enormous pharmacies are located right next to filthy poultry shops selling live chickens that are killed and plucked in front of you. As expected, there are very few women on the street, and those that do appear are usually accompanied by men, and they are fully covered in black coats (and very often veils that cover everything but the eyes...even professional women in the office -- more on that later). Despite that, there is a whole section of town with shop after shop of very tight and low-cut Western-style wedding dresses -- in a rainbow of colors, with gaudy beads. I asked the driver if normal Yemeni women wear these things and he said yes, their wedding day is the one day in their adult lives when they don't have to cover. It wasn't until I was back at my hotel that I remembered that under-age marriage is a huge problem here. Girls as young as 11, 12 and 13 are regularly married off. Are they the ones wearing these confections of wedding dresses and told to savor the one moment in their lives when they will be able to walk around without being covered?

I keep thinking back to photos I saw before arriving here. Online photos of Sana'a that I saw were beautiful and breathtaking. And certainly, I have seen interesting things -- and given the poverty, some heartbreaking things -- but I haven't seen beautiful yet. It's possible that beautiful is right next to me, but I am cut off from it because of my cage. Hopefully, I will at some point be able to break free and experience life more directly here. Otherwise, I get the sense that I will feel lonely and a little isolated, even if my colleagues so far have been nice.

These are my first impressions. I know -- it's not the happy and excited report that I expected to have. But this is the reality.

9 comments:

  1. I think the contrasts we initially notice are so interesting! Can you remember your first impressions of New York? Mine happened in my early childhood, but they're similar to what you describe--the contrast of great comfort amidst great deprivation. I can't wait to read more of your adventures and observations, as you try to get out of that little cage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well...it does sound pretty much like khartuom. a weird mixture of modern and really really shoddy...not to mention the sand, everywhere...

    women are much more visible, both on the street, in stores, offices. i 'blame' bedouins and southerners influences on pious arabs :)

    and yes, beautiful is around you..but it will take some time for you to recognize it, for eyes to get used to visual 'shock' they receive when coming to place like sana or kht. it took me about 3-4 months here to start noticing and appreciating nice things around me. granted, there ain't that many of them but still, there are some gems. you take comfort in these little things and ignore the rest.

    one thing i still find really difficult after nearly 6 months in sudan is making contacts with the 'locals'. few of them working in the office are mainly old, in their mid 50s men with large families who do not want to waste any time with us infidels....meeting younger sudanis is notoriously hard in a place without cinema, nighttime cafes, concerts...not to mention all sorts of cultural and societal obstacles preventing sudanis to mix with the foreigners.
    so in a way i have to turn to fellow expats...which than makes the gap between me and sudanis even larger...can't see myself winning there...
    hope you have much better luck...little bird :)
    good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Tammy, so great that you're blogging about your experiences. And I'm having some displacement weirdness, feeling like I just saw you a blink ago, and now you're on the other side of the world.

    Sounds like one of the challenges is how to see the place through both an exoticized lens and a super-realism lens at the same time - your description is jarring. Also unsurprising, that there are structures & routines in place to ensure safety, but also resulting in easy separation between you and more local living.

    Again, delighted to have you blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy you took up on the idea. The first post is great, and it made me feel like I was riding in the car right next you. Things will probably look and feel different once you get a sense of city. Even your first account of the streets will change, I'd guess. Not knowing your whereabouts of the city when you're driving around must be unsettling.
    Is your driver Yemeni? He might be a good one to get out of the pretty cage, perhaps.
    Keep posting (pictures too!).
    Isil.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ciao Tammy.look it can't be worste then Torre!
    get out of the cage.
    Un'abbraccio forte e take care
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great first bloggage Tammy--keep 'em comin'. But do your Mom and I a big favor--don't be too quick about breaking free. We know it's not your style to stay inside a cage, but we're just as certain that your job will afford plenty of opportunities to get out and about.
    Be safe--all our love, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the update. My one Yemen story was when I was travelling in East Africa in the mid-1990s. Aeroflot was the cheapest flight from London to Nairobi at the time, and travelled via Moscow, where everyone, apparently drank a lot of vodka while on layover. The next stop on the trip was Yemen. Where everyone was nursing hangovers. It became a standard greeting one gave to newly arrived backpackers in Nairobi to greet them with "bloody hot in Yemen, eh?"
    hope you break out soon! Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tammy,thanks for the blog. I hope you keep the news coming. I forwarded the blog to Brett and to Mark. Please, be safe.
    Aunt Joan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boo!!

    (both an appropriate Halloween comment and an indication of disgust at zero blog updates since "Arrival" took place).

    ReplyDelete